Logo Pine Mountain Gold Mine
Villa Rica, GA
All Text & Images:
Copyright (2013)

Gold was discovered on Pine Mountain in 1826, prior to the Dahlonega finds.   The early miners used pans,
and later sluice boxes; commercial mining modernized the operations through the 19th century.   In 1915,
cyanide processing was introduced to leach hard-to-find gold in powder form from the crushed ore.   The
Pine Mountain Gold Mine was active until 1936, comprising more than a century of off and on operation.


Between 1949 and 1957, the Stockmar family operated the Flying S Dude Ranch on the site.
The Stockmar's stone home, at the front of the property, was destroyed by a fire in the 1970's.


Stockmar_residence_Ruins



Home_ruins
Original front entry-foyer


Home_ruins



Home_ruins



Home_ruins
The rear kitchen of the house was originally connected to an old
mine tunnel, which acted like a root cellar to keep food cool.



Home_ruins



Home_ruins



Home_ruins
Fireplace and chimney


Home_ruins



Home_ruins



From the old homesite, a trail into the woods leads to the extensive old mine works:

South_Manway

The Man-way tunnel served as a shortcut to carry ore through the hill, rather than over it.



South_Manway





Reservoir
Reservoir


Old_stone_cut
Old cut with mine shaft at right.




Pillars_bins
Ore Stocking Bins


Pillar
I'm not sure what these pillars were used for.


Stocking_bins
Ore Bins


Bim_pillars



Near_stock_bins



Bins_pillars





Stamp_mill_piling

Pilings for Stamp Mill



Stamp_mill_pilings



Ore_cart_base
Ore cart rail base




Stone_formation
Shaft cut in stone formation


Three_shafts
Three shafts - the middle one is the other end of the Man-way.




Leaching_Tanks
Pair of large Leaching tanks


Bucket_Tunnel
Conveyance bucket Tunnel, showing cable that held suspended bucket...


Smaller_Leach_Tank
Small Leaching tank


Process_bldg

Ruins of Processing building



Process_bldg



Solution_tank
Solution tank


Assay_office
Remains of assay office; just the chimney


Cyanide_tank
Cyanide tank


Glory_Hole
The Glory Hole - a large quantity of gold was dug from this huge open pit.




Mill
Reproduction Grist Mill


Pulley_wheels
A collection of pulley wheels from the stamp mill.


Gear_shafts
Gear shafts from the stamp mill


Mill_falls
Mill and water feature


Stamp_lifters
Stamp Mill lifters


Pulley_wheels
More big pulley wheels...


Ore_cart
Ore cart


Mill
Another view of the mill and waterwheel.



Historical Photos:

Old_Leaching_Tanks
Same pair of Leaching Tanks shown in an earlier image


Open_Mine_Cut
Open Mine Cut - The Glory Hole



Credits: Georgia Geological Survey Collection; Mines, Mining & Geology; RG 50-2-20; Georgia Archives



Back to Ruins Index To SE USA Index
All Text & Images: Copyright 2013.