Logo Sugar Hill Group
Remains of Mining Operations at
east spur of Little Pine Log Mtn.
All Text & Images:
Copyright (2016)


The Sugar Hill deposits were mined on a small scale before the Civil War.   There was no further mining until large-scale
operations were started in 1898.   The deposits were mined intensively for about four years.   The property was acquired
about 1902 by Joel Hurt, who continued operations until 1906 on a considerably smaller scale.

Remains of Mining Camp:


Chimneys
Twin chimneys are all that remain of this structure in the old mining camp.
This must have been one of the more important and substantial buildings
in the mining community, considering the double chimney.



Fireplace
Fireplace at base of one of the chimneys


Brick_piers
The majority of ruins that I came across here consisted of rectangular groupings of brick
piers that supported long-gone wooden buildings.   Those remains had no fireplaces,
but probably contained wood-burning stoves at the time.



Detritus
Bucket, bricks, and other detritus, covered by seasons of fallen leaves and pine needles.


Mighty_Oak
Mighty oak among much smaller trees.
This tree was likely here at the time of the mining operations.



Chimney
Another overgrown chimney



Cripple Creek Ore Bank:

The Cripple Creek deposit was mined from an open cut, about 25 feet deep.
The ore here often occurred in the form of huge boulders.


Cripple_Creek
The cut becomes an ephemeral pond in the rainy season; it usually dries out in the summer.


Cripple_Creek_Mine-Rock
A huge boulder has tumbled down from the rim of the mine cut.

Revisiting on a sunny day:

Boulder-trees
Pines growing out of ore rock boulder


Cripple_Creek_pond
~ Reflections ~
Boulders of ore-filled rock have fallen down the slope from the cut on the opposite side of the pond.



Pond_rocks
Rocks in the water


Mine_wall
Exposed wall in Cripple Creek cut


Cut_wall
Another wall of the cut


Pool_cove
Small cove in the pool



Pine Hill Ore Bank:

One of the first worked in the Sugar Hill district, the Pine Hill cut covers approx. 3.5 acres.
Water is ponded permanently in the cut, and its original depth is unknown.


Sugar_Hill_Pond
The water-filled mine is now known as Sugar Hill Pond.


Sugar_Hill_Pond
Reflections in the dark water



Bluff Ore Bank:

200 yards beyond the Pine Hill ore bank was the smaller Bluff Mine, now also full of water.


Bluff_Mine
Water-filled Bluff Mine




RR_cut
RR Cut for the old Iron Belt Railway grade, which continued from here to the Pine Hill and Bluff Mines.



Unnamed Mine:

This cut covers just over half an acre, with a depth of 65 feet.
It appears to have been the last mine worked in the area.


Unnamed_Mine
Unnamed mine cut


Cellar_footing
Nearby water-filled cellar, moss-covered concrete footing, and remnants of brick wall



Sugar Hill - Kinsey Cut:

The largest excavation by far of this group, this cut is a half mile long and covers more than 16 acres.
The mine started as two cuts (Sugar Hill to the south, Kinsey to the north) which were enlarged and finally merged.


SugarHill-Kinsey
Much of this area has been logged in recent years


SugarHill-Kinsey
Further along the slopes


Waste-dumps
Waste-dump piles

Page in Work - More to Come



Pine Log Mining Index Pine Log WMA Index
Local Sites Index SE USA Index
All Text & Images: Copyright 2016.