Logo Jones' Mill (aka Lewis Mills)
on Stamp Creek
All Text & Images:
Copyright (2013)

After the Civil War, R.H. Jones expanded his carriage manufacturing operation in Cartersville and bought the old iron
furnace and mill property of John W. Lewis, in the midst of 320 acres on Stamp Creek.   Here he established machine
shops, a saw mill and all machinery for making wood products, powered by the waters of Stamp Creek.   Local history
indicates that the mill also manufactured furniture and caskets by 1900, and at one time included a grist mill and store.


Bridge_abutments-E
Bridge piers at Stamp Creek


Cascade
Cascade in Stamp Creek


Jones_Mill-B
Photographing the mill ruins


Window
Window in NW wall


Door
Doorway, from inside


Mill_interior
View into mill interior


West_corner
Pillars at west-facing corner


Creekside_wall
Portion of exterior SW (creek-side) wall


View_interior_from_SW
View of interior through outside wall.


Creekside_wall
Long SW wall, from near the creek bank


Millrace
Being a water-powered mill, this was possibly part of the millrace.


Millrace
Section of millrace running along exterior SW wall


Three_bolts
Not sure what these three bolts attached to...


Interior_millrace
There is also a stone-lined channel in the interior, possibly an internal sluice of the millrace.


Lichen_spores
Lichen spores on rock face


SW_wall

More shots of the SW creek-side wall - (above & below)


SW_wall



Taking_break-E
Taking a break...


SE_side view
View toward interior through the open SE side.
Only the corner wall columns remain on this end of the mill.



Hill-side_walls
The NE walls are built into the hillside, with the old road at the upper level.


Road-support
A coarse rock wall supports the old road bed both above and below the mill site.


View_down_corner
Looking down from old road above east corner, creek in background.


Door_NW_wall
Another view from above, at the NW wall.


Wall_stones
You can see the drill hole originally used to split this corner stone.


NW_wall
The old road runs between the top of the wall and the big boulder at upper right.


Window
Window


Shelved_wall
Shelved wall


Hill-side_wall
Interior of NE wall, built into hill-side


Hill-side_wall
It took some work to get some of these boulders fitted into this wall.


Pillar
Stone pillar detail


Wall_corner
South corner of Mill.   The stone work at this end of the structure
is much finer than at the opposite end; probably a later addition.



Trout_lilies
Trout lilies (Erythronium umbilicatum)


Tree_galls
Galls on tree trunk.


Stamp_Creek
Stamp Creek at the so-called "Indian Rocks"



Pages from an R.H. Jones Mfg. Co. brochure, late 1800's   (courtesy of Richard Wright):

Jones_Carriage-1
Carriage advertisement


Jones_Carriage-2
This document refers to the Stamp Creek mill location.


Flood_article
The mill was mentioned in a news article on the 1899 floods.



Back to Ruins Index To SE USA Index
All Text & Images: Copyright 2013.